Court hears how Romanian stewardess was forced to handcuff defendant during Madrid flight in June
 
(Photo for illustrative purposes only)

An off-duty Emirati pilot has appeared in court after allegedly getting drunk and threatening to blow up an aircraft.

Local media reported on Wednesday that a Romanian stewardess was confronted by the pilot during a flight from Madrid in June.

The 27-year-old allegedly swore at passengers, insulted and assaulted the stewardess and grabbed two beers without permission.

His behaviour forced the stewardess to restrain him with a plastic handcuff, media reported, but his aggression intensified and shouted that he would blow up the plane with explosives that he allegedly had on him.

He also threatened to chase the Romanian to her house and kill her, it was reported.

Police apprehended the Emirati, who pleaded guilty in court, once the plane landed at Dubai International Airport.He asked presiding judge Fahd Al Shamsi for the case to be adjourned so he could hire a lawyer to defend him. The trial continues.

 

Source: arabianbusiness

In September last year, the Indian Embassy had submitted a list of 3,614 workers for compensation, but an agreement could not be reached on the modalities to liquidate the security deposits, the Kuwait Times reported recently. File photo

The Kuwaiti government will compensate over 700 unpaid Indian workers of a leading private construction company who had to leave the country following a protracted labour dispute, the Indian Embassy in Kuwait said.

The Kuwaiti Ministry of Social Affairs and Labour will pay KD 250 (Rs 56,680) relief amount to each of the 710 employees of the Kharafi National Company, who were registered with the Public Authority of Manpower (PAM), and had left the country between November 2017 and April 2018, the embassy said in a press release.

The workers hailed from different parts of India, including Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Bihar, Rajasthan, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.

Last year, over 3,600 Indian workers were left stranded in a state of penury for several months in Kuwait after the Kharafi National Company ran into financial difficulties.

In September last year, the Indian Embassy had submitted a list of 3,614 workers for compensation, but an agreement could not be reached on the modalities to liquidate the security deposits, the Kuwait Times reported recently.

The relief amount would be directly remitted into the workers’ accounts, the report said.

Earlier this year, Minister of State for External Affairs VK Singh visited Kuwait and held talks with the authorities to find a solution to the issue.

The Indian embassy also pursued the matter and subsequently submitted a modified list of 1,262 people, out of which the PAM shortlisted 710 people eligible for the compensation, an embassy official told PTI over the phone.

The embassy will take up the matter of the rest 552 workers with the Kuwaiti government again, he said.

Source: deccanherald

National Bank of kuwait has cooperated with Mastercard to launch a new payment solution that integrated an embedded fingerprint sensor within credit card to provide an extra layer of security for in-store payments. ARATEK and e-Payment

uyutyiruyri.JPG

yuiui.JPG

 

Fire detected on a Kuwait-Hyderabad Jazeera flight. All passengers were evacuated safely.

 

 

Wednesday, 01 August 2018 20:01

New rules for working women in Kuwait

The manpower authority issued administrative decision number 552 to organize women’s work at night, which limits allowed activities to hotels, pharmacies, medical labs, healthcare providers, law firms, amusement parks, nurseries, disabled care houses, aviation firms, theatres, TV and radio satellite channels and stations, commercial stores at port and airports, the oil sector, petrochemical industries and companies with contracts with government bodies to provide 24/7 services.

The decision also defined the activities in which women will be allowed to work until midnight, except during Ramadan, including banks, restaurants, NGOs, amusement parks, law firms, co-ops, educational facilities, women’s salons, travel agencies and shopping malls.

The decision bans women from working in 15 activities including painting, asbestos manufacturing, chlorine and soda manufacturing, asphalt manufacturing, factories and mines, slaughterhouses, pesticide manufacturing and sale, metal fusion and casting, explosives, operating or maintaining machines, battery manufacture or repair, fertilizer manufacture or storage, brick manufacturing, heavy-duty jobs such as construction and firefighting, oil drilling and all jobs involving the use of lead, benzol, arsenic or phosphorus.

In addition to banning men from working in facilities providing special services for women, the decision entitles working women to two hours to breastfeed their babies, provided they file an application to their superiors accompanied with the baby’s birth certificate. It also entitles a Muslim working widow to a fully-paid leave of four months and 10 days effective from the date of her husband’s death.

Police inspect a vehicle at a military checkpoint where the bomb exploded

A Filipino soldier, five militiamen and four villagers have been killed by a powerful bomb that exploded in a van the troops were inspecting amid threats of bombings in a southern province, military officials said.

Regional military spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Gerry Besana said one other government militiaman was wounded in the blast after dawn that shattered a part of the barricades surrounding an army militia outpost in the village of Colonia on the island province of Basilan.

Lt Col Besana, who is based in southern Zamboanga city across a strait from Basilan, said a security clampdown due to intelligence reports of possible bomb attacks on military outposts included the setting up of road checkpoints, which allowed troops to stop the bomb-laden white van.

Police said the blast occurred after militiamen flagged down the van at a checkpoint for inspection, although the report had limited details and it is unclear what happened to the driver.

The villagers who died in the explosion included relatives of militiamen assigned at the outpost.

No group has claimed responsibility for the blast. Investigators were trying to determine the type of the explosive and its design.

Government forces have been put on alert in the south, scene of decades-long Muslim separatist unrest, after President Rodrigo Duterte signed a new autonomy agreement last week with the biggest Muslim rebel group in the country.

The peace deal has been opposed by much smaller but violent extremist bands mostly linked with the Islamic State group.

“These may be the work of peace spoilers,” Lt Col Besana told The Associated Press, referring to opponents of the autonomy agreement and adding that it was likely that the militia outpost was the target of the bombing and not the city of Lamitan, a few miles away.

Regional military commander Lieutenant General Arnel Dela Vega committed “every available resource under his disposal to identify the perpetrators in the soonest possible time”.

The number of foreigners terminated from public sector jobs in Kuwait has left banks in the country with a sizeable bad debt problem.

 Local media said that Kuwait’s efforts to create more jobs for nationals by releasing foreigners has created a problem when thousands of laid off expatriates became unable to fulfill their financial obligations towards local banks.

Kuwait Times reported recent data from the Central Bank of Kuwait that shows the total bad debts for expatriates during the past four years reached $1.8 billion, a sizable portion of which comprise the debts of foreigners who were laid off by the government, according to sources.

Eighty five percent of those debts are owed to local banks, while the remaining 15 percent are owed to financial facilities companies.

According to official statistics released by the Central Statistical Bureau and Civil Service Commission, the number of expats in the public sector dropped to 80,000, compared to around 340,000 Kuwaiti employees as of the end of June.

Also, over 1,600 expatriate workers were terminated from public sector positions in Kuwait so far this year, according to Kuwait’s Civil Service Commission (CSC).

Saudi man shoots dead brother and Kuwaiti; motive unknown yet

Cairo: A Saudi man went on the rampage on Monday and killed his brother and a Kuwaiti national, using a Kalashnikov gun, Kuwaiti media reported.

The murder, the motive of which is not clear yet, was carried out early on Monday in the district of Umm Al Hayman, south of the capital Kuwait City, Al Naba newspaper said.

The suspect, whose name was not disclosed, was arrested while he was attempting to escape into his homeland through the border crossing of Al Nuwaisib on Kuwait’s border with Saudi Arabia, the report said.

Police launched an investigation into the murder to determine its circumstances and motive, the Kuwaiti newspaper Al Watan reported.

There was no immediate comment from Kuwait, or Saudi authorities on the report.

Saudi man shoots dead brother and Kuwaiti; motive unknown yet

Cairo: A Saudi man went on the rampage on Monday and killed his brother and a Kuwaiti national, using a Kalashnikov gun, Kuwaiti media reported.

The murder, the motive of which is not clear yet, was carried out early on Monday in the district of Umm Al Hayman, south of the capital Kuwait City, Al Naba newspaper said.

The suspect, whose name was not disclosed, was arrested while he was attempting to escape into his homeland through the border crossing of Al Nuwaisib on Kuwait’s border with Saudi Arabia, the report said.

Police launched an investigation into the murder to determine its circumstances and motive, the Kuwaiti newspaper Al Watan reported.

There was no immediate comment from Kuwait, or Saudi authorities on the report.

Tuesday, 31 July 2018 15:45

Iran hackers target Gulf e-systems

Systematic attempts to seize ‘sensitive and crucial’ data in the region

Source: Gulf News

Cairo: An unidentified group of hackers, based in Iran, have been found to target the Gulf and the Middle East with cyber-attacks, Kuwaiti newspaper Al Qabas reported on Sunday, amid tensions between Tehran and several countries in the region.

“The Iranian group adopts different tools to hack several governmental systems with the aim of installing spying points at data centres there,” an unnamed source at an information security company in Kuwait told the paper.

 Image result for Iran hackers target Gulf e-systems

The source, termed as well-informed, added that the hackers have systematically attempted to steal “sensitive and crucial data” since last year. “They rely on taking advantage on loopholes in the online governmental systems.”

The group, according to the source, has a list of potential 809 targets in Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Qatar and Jordan. There was no official comment in Kuwait.

In recent years, ties have deteriorated between Iran and several Arab countries, mainly Saudi Arabia, over Tehran’s interference in their affairs. A Saudi-led Arab coalition, fighting Iran-allied militants in Yemen, accuses Tehran of smuggling weapons to its Al Houthi proxies, who staged a coup in 2014 against the internationally recognised government there.